I (19F) , Worried about not finding a relationship, feeling unattractive and unlovable - ATX News Paper

ATX News Paper

Today News Paper - Article, Newspaper jobs, Magazine, News Republic, News Corporation company, News bbc, News live, Today's news usa, india, uk more country's breaking news

Breaking

Home Top Ad

Post Top Ad

Monday, January 4, 2021

I (19F) , Worried about not finding a relationship, feeling unattractive and unlovable

A little information: (Just general stuff, take or leave,) I'm a 19 year old African-American girl, pansexual, and I am currently in college. Relatively tall, slight build, and short hair, if that helps at all.

Lately, more than I have in high school or my freshman year of college, I feel insanely unattractive and unlovable. I see so many people around me finding relationships (platonic, sexual, romantic, etc) and I feel very left out. I have tried so many times to doll myself up, be more friendly, be more approachable, and to no avail. Budding friendships die, anybody that I am attracted to seems to fade out of my life.

I have dated before, but unfortunately, I found out after our breakup (we only dated for a month, which was about a year ago.) that he was just with me in hopes of fulfilling his Jezebel-stereotype of black women being freaks in the sheets. Since then, I have tried to convince myself that a relationship has no bearing on my self worth, but I still feel really depressed. Some of the men that I openly expressed interest in (I was varied in terms of forwardness, but I've never straight-up asked for a number or date) rejected me due to my race, my weight, my height, or said that my sexuality was off putting. I have tried to enter LGBTQ+ dating circles, or asked my other queer friends for help, but nothing really bears fruit. I often get over-dramatized responses to try and classify me (femme, butch, top, bottom, etc) which I am uncomfortable with.

My personality, as an introspective, is fair. I am witty and quick with a joke, but have never been close to the 'class clown' I am very 'chill', at times bubbly, but most often quiet. My friends often say that I have a nurturing, mom-like aura, while still being quite down to earth and honest. At times, I do have a temper, but I usually express any anger or strong negativity by taking a step back and self-isolating for a short time, rather than lashing out.

As is the case with many women I've spoken to about this, I tend to blame my looks. I have a sharp jawline, broad shoulders, but I am not a pound over 116, which can come off a little tomboyish. I think that this contributes to a conflict with my 'soft' personality, perhaps people find that off putting? I struggle with body dysmorphia as a result of an eating disorder I struggled with for years, but with therapy, has been under control as of late. I have been told, and do believe, that I look slightly above average without makeup and quite pretty with makeup, which I have experimented with greatly. I can look polished, fresh, or fully done up, if need be. I have been told throughout my childhood that my slight frame and Carribean high cheekbones are modeling attributes, but I still feel quite inadequate as the men in my life have described me as androgynous or non-feminine.

Whenever I attempt to be more girly, by adjusting my wardrobe or by slightly skewing my approach to people, I am met with surface level compliments that seem to bear no real influence ("oh my goodness, you look good in a dress!" "A skirt for once! Nice change!" "Oooh, she's pretty!" \(said in a patronizing way, most of the time)**)

I may come off as people pleasing in this post, but that is not really the case. I just describe the times I have tried to adjust myself, but these attempts are actually very sparse. I don't come from wealth, so I haven't really done any complete closet overhauls or expensive cosmetics.

Anyhow, I am in urgent need of advice on how to go about dating and general platonic relationship building. I do have a small circle of friends, who I love dearly as if they were family, but they go to different colleges and we rarely get together. I don't think it wrong or self-serving to want to develop new friendships and meet new people. However, every time I try, I find myself reaching out to an indifferent individual, or alone in my apartment, with nobody to talk to (even virtually, considering the current pandemic).

What am I doing wrong? Please give any advice you think would help, and I am totally able to answer questions, or provide a picture if this post gains traction. Thank you very much. <3

submitted by /u/melaninandstardust
[link] [comments]

from Dating Advice https://ift.tt/38dFt5g
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad

Pages